Friday 16 June 2017

Music Video Evaluation

This task was one of the ones that I wasn't looking forward to due to being fairly new to camera work. I knew that I could never make a beautiful looking music video that features great locations and expensive props due to my lack of budget and camera crew. I decided rather than try to produce one of these beautiful looking videos and be upset with its inability to reach the standard of a professional one that I would embrace the skills and location I did have. I had considered doing found footage that related to my songs message of love and positivity however I didn't know how to fill the entire video with just this idea. I then thought of the idea of basing the theme of love around family and how they play together. I decided to use my little brother as he was the only young boy I knew well enough and had time with to film. I asked his dad before I asked him and they both said yes. I was originally going to just have my brother in the video playing his fake guitar and trying to be Ed Sheeran as well as having a couple of shots of him playing with his sister in the garden. However I then came up with the idea of using my sister as well and showing the idea of sibling conflict and then resolve the conflict just as the songs message is "Love can change the world in a moment."

My original idea was to film Saturday afternoon and get all of my filming done on that day, however unknown family plans happened which meant that I had to delay the filming to Saturday evening. This meant that when I started filming outside I had to adjust the aperture and ISO on my camera past the ideal settings that I would have had if it was earlier in the day. I had to set my ISO to auto after trying for a while to get the ISO to stay at the right one as every time I moved the camera the exposure kept changing so by putting it on auto I resolved that issue. This meant that some of my footage was grainy, I could have re done my grainy footage but the main idea of my music video was that it was a child filming himself trying to become the image of a pop star however he can't live up to that quality.

I had to continue filming on the Sunday due to the lack of time on Saturday. The biggest difference that is visible in the video is the lighting difference inside the house from the Saturday evening with the artificial light on to Sunday afternoon without the artificial light on. This means that some of my footage is more yellow looking, from the artificial light. I couldn't have fixed this by filming in the evening due to my actors having to go back to their mum's house. I could have filmed it on another date but it would have been too close to the deadline and more awkward to ask them both to wear the exact same clothing as they were before. I managed to fix the issue with the ISO that I was experiencing the night before and managed to get my ISO down to 100 when I was filming inside the house and the outside. Whilst filming inside my aperture was 4 and was perfectly exposed. Due to filming earlier in the day on the second filming session it was a lot brighter than before this meant that I had to put my aperture on the maximum it could go on my lens ,18, to ensure that my exposure was correct.

Another issue I have noticed while I have been editing is that there are some continuity errors. The main error is that the female actor changed how she had her hair. In the start of the video her hair is in a ponytail and it changes halfway through to a bun. At some points of the video it could be argued that she changed while her character was off screen however towards the end of the video it changes between shots. This happened due to me filming some of my exterior shots on the Saturday and the rest on the Sunday. If I had been aware of this issue during the filming I would have asked her to change her hair back to a ponytail and filmed again but I only noticed this error during editing. In my personal opinion the hair change is only noticeable to me because I knew we filmed on separate days. most of the exterior footage is made up of long shots, and due to this I don't think people who watch the video will notice this.

One problem that I was concerned with about doing my original idea was that I wouldn't get the consent to include my little brother in the video or that he wouldn't want to do it at all. However I got parental consent from his dad and my brother was really excited to do the video. This enabled me to film everything as soon as possible without having to delay and come up with new ideas. Due to this I was able to stay on schedule and complete the filming and editing of the video within a couple of days. This resulted in the task being a lot less stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment